Sunday, November 28, 2010

Dreamcatchers To The Future and Beyond


I've recently gotten more questions about the dreamcatcher earrings. I thought it would be fun to share with everyone.

When was the first dreamcatcher craft you made? What was the inspiration?

-I can't really remember the first dreamcatcher I made, but I'm pretty sure that I made one in elementary school art class at least once.

What was your inspiration for making and selling dreamcatcher crafts as you do now?

-I was inspired by crochet earrings. I love crochet earrings, but never learned how to crochet. One day it came to me and I decided to buy some yarn and make dreamcatcher inspired earrings with a fun twist to it. I was thoroughly impressed by the design and got so many compliments that I started selling them on Etsy and through my own personal website. Since then, I have sold many pairs of dreamcatchers both online and in person.


What connection do you have to the Native American community?

- I don't really have a direct connection to the Native American community. My great grandmother was half Native American, but I was never really exposed to that part of her culture (atleast not that I know).

Why do you think people appreciate dreamcatchers? What do you feel is appealing about yours?

- I think people appreciate the traditional aspects of the native american dreamcatchers and the cultural symbolism. I think that people find my version of the dreamcatcher appealing because it is an idea revised and infused with fun and trendy materials. Also my dreamcatchers are wearable and can be customized in a wide variety of colors and different beads.

How do you acquire the materials you use?

-I purchase my materials. I occasional re-purpose vintage materials for use in the dreamcatchers also.

What is your process for creating your dreamcatcher crafts? What is your workspace like and how long do the dreamcatchers take to make?

-The process for creating my dreamcatchers is fairly simple. I gather the supplies, yarn, beads and such and begin assembling each. They take between 3 and 4 hours for each pair. I have a small studio in my house for my business.

2 comments:

  1. cool interview, wish there was a link so I could checkout the jewelry for myself since there are no images in this post.

    http://themessenger-bag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting! The website is www.MissPrissJewels.com

    ReplyDelete