Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Natural Hair Perspectives of Beauty

I am among the many divas who are sporting our natural hair.
What does natural hair say about our personalities? I suppose it is different for each person, but for me it is an extension of my self-expression. My hair also represents my cultural pride. Women who wear fros and curly natural hair have always been my ideal icons of beauty. While growing up, I recall looking through photos of my parent's wedding. My mother sported a full Afro and Africa shaped earrings, while my father wore his short 'fro and dashiki. These images inspired my natural beauty and have continued to inform my self-image while shaping my perspectives of beauty.
I have been natural almost ten years, which is terribly scary to admit because it only means that I am getting older. When I embarked on my natural hair journey, it wasn't the trendy thing to do. I didn't see any other girls in high school rocking natural hair styles. Although I was eager to transition from relaxed to natural, for quite awhile I wore braids and twists until I went to college. In college I eagerly explored the realms of my hair. I was excited to learn my natural textures and all the possibilities that my natural hair permitted.

I have recently become motivated to celebrate the positive influence of natural beauty and have tons and tons of ideas for upcoming peices. With that being said, I am hoping to incorporate more elements of natural beauty into my fall/winter collection (don't worry divas I have some super fun glitzy pieces for you to wear during holiday season too). Stay tuned for updates in the near future!

Stay tuned to the site for the Pretty Purple Star earrings I'm wearing. They will be released soon.

All that glitters just might be gold.

Love, Peace & Hair Grease,
Miss Priss aka Kari
www.missprissjewels.com
missprissjewels.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment